A HUGE thank you to everyone who helped to make STEM Night so amazing! Rachelle Varnon once again put together a great team of teachers who had some great things for the kids to do while learning about STEM. We enjoyed bugs from the Houston Museum of Natural Science and her amazing estimation station is always a winner!! Paul O’Sullivan, our PTA STEM Chair, brought in some great visitors from NASA, the University of Houston College of Optometry and Methodist Hospital. We thank them for giving up an evening at home to educate our kids about what they do! PTA Fundraising Chair Joanna Smith had a great dinner for our families and PTA Hospitality Chairs Cindy Giesen and Langley Cumbie fed our wonderful participating teachers. Thank you also to all the parent volunteers who sold our food and beverage items. This evening could not happen without collaboration and hard work from so many people, so thank you to each and every one of you.
Some STEM numbers from Ms. Varnon;
• 4,473 pompoms in the estimation aquarium
• 4,567 pompoms estimated by Mrs. Skokna, the teacher winner
• 600 tongue depressors purchased for catapults
• 864 balloons blown up for tower building
• 709 project fair projects displayed throughout the building
• 31 teachers together volunteered 72+ hours of their time to make sure the night was a success
• 27 – 28 – 29
• 1st Place Estimator – Olivia M. – 4,500 – difference of 27
• 2nd Place Estimator – Sophie C. – 4,501 – difference of 28
• 3rd Place Estimator – Hudson P. – 4,444 – difference of 29
• 8 hairy scary legs on the tarantula from HMNS (ewwwwww)
• 1 winner of a one year family membership to The Museum of Natural Science, Olivia M. , for her pompom estimation of 4,501
• 2 Travis Gift Certificates to the 2nd and 3rd place winners, Sophie C. and Hudson P.
• ONE TREMENDOUS EVENING of everything STEM!
Thank you to everyone who attended!
Lauren Lindsay, PTA VP Programs